Nvidia 7 Series - "Good-Bye and thanks for all the fish"

http://www.pctronix.co.nz/images/PX7800GTX.jpg
It would seem Nvidia's 7 series was one of the best for sticking with it.

I remember when they first were coming out, oh say... more than 3 years ago, that's right, 3 years running and they still pack a punch.

I only recently upgraded from my Leadtek 7800 GTX (above) about 2 months ago. The reason that it lasted so long being, with a proper processor backing it up, (like say the Intel Core 2 series or the AMD equivalent) the card still managed to perform remarkably well (and it's not even the highest card in the series!).

It's the longest I have ever had a graphics card at one time (a bit over 2 years), and it is only now that it's power is starting to fall behind. I could play Team Fortress 2 at 1440x990 without any lag if I turned down the graphics a little, which was quite surprising honestly, but the problem being I can't stand lag, I usually only like an FPS of 60 or above (for stability purposes, having it at 30 is great until a lot of stuff happens and you get lag spikes). So I went for the 8800 GT, but the fact is, if you can play games without having to have everything set to high and can handle a LITTLE lag, that card would still be able to play ANY game that is currently on the market.

So I bid farewell to my Leadtek 7800 GTX (which is now in the hands of my brother, who will no doubt get my 8800 GT when I upgrade as well).

Usually I wouldn't make a bit deal out of such a thing, but considering the rate at which technology is advancing IS increasing, about 2 years running (and a number of different liquid cooling systems and coolers, and hundreds of overclocks) is pretty damn good.

The annoying thing is, this kind of reliability seems to be diminishing, I doubt my 8800 GT will last me the year, (which is good news for my brother I guess hehe).

0 comments: